Welcome to the Timeball Tower website. The Tower is located on the seafront in Deal. This website will give you an insight into the Tower, what it is and information on exhibits and opening times. Visit the Photograph Galleries for a photographic tour of the museum.
The Visitor Information page provides you with our admission and opening times details, a brief history of the TimeBall Tower as well as a location map to give you that little bit more help when finding us. You can also find details and a standing order form for membership subscription here.
We also have a licence to sell Norfolk China, embossed with images of Deal and the Tower itself. Please see price list to the right and the Photograph Galleries for some representative images.
We hope you enjoy visiting our website and hope to see you at the Timeball Tower soon.
Opening Times for 2022
Easter: Friday 15th, Saturday 16th, Sunday 17th and Monday 18th April; 11:30am to 4:30pm
Spring: Saturdays and Sundays only from 30th April to 29th May inclusive; 11:30am to 4:30pm
Public Holidays: Mondays 2nd and 30th May; 29th August 11:30am to 4:30pm
Summer season: From Thursday 2nd June to Sunday 2nd October, Wednesday to Sunday inclusive; 11:30am to 4:30pm.
During this summer period, the Tower will be closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
TIMEBALL TOWER - New Years Eve 2021
1. The scaffolding around the Timeball Tower is being removed. The Tower is looking really smart after its repaint.
2. The ball will be floodlit from 2300 on New Year’s Eve. There will be a commentated countdown and Timeball drop at midnight. At 2355 the Timeball will rise halfway up the mast. At 2357 it will go to the top of the mast. It will drop at precisely midnight. The timing of the Timeball drop is controlled by the atomic clock at Anthorn Radio Station in Cumbria.
3. Shortly after the midnight drop, it is hoped there will be a firework display from the beach near Deal Pier.
4. Do come and watch the drop and the fireworks but please do maintain social distancing.
Timeball Tower Restoration - 5th December 2021
Mast repair and Tower restoration
1. The Timeball mast has been replaced and the mechanism set to work. The ball drops at 1300 daily. There will be a commentated Timeball drop and countdown on New Year’s Eve.
2. The exterior of the Timeball Tower has been restored. The roof has been repaired. The windows and doors have been refurbished and replaced, where necessary. The building is now properly watertight. Some of the internal plasterwork has been removed as a damp reduction measure. The scaffolding will be removed before Christmas.
3. We are not able to open for New Years Day because of continued internal damp reduction measures. We plan to re-open for Easter weekend, 15-18 April 2022.
The new mast has been fitted. The Timeball has been restored and the mechanism set to work.
The ball drops at 1300 daily.
MAST REPAIR UPDATE – 11 October 2021
The mast was replaced today. Over the next two days the mechanism will be re-assembled. The plan is for the Timeball to be working by Wednesday 13th October.
We are not able to open for safety reasons whilst the building is clad in scaffolding. It is planned to remove the scaffolding in early December. Therefore we will not be able to open for the October half term, 24th-29th October.
We next plan to open on New Year’s Day 2022 from 1130-1430. We will of course have a commentary and countdown to midnight on New Year’s Eve this year. We will have a more formal re-opening at Easter 2022.